Sunday, November 26, 2006

Alfonzo

Alfonzo is back in my life, guys. True, I'm not six and skipping around my garden aimlessly in a cotton frock but at this stage in my life, I might as well be. Without sounding dramatic, he always was the still point of my moving world as a child and now as I have to stand in line to get a visa to go home for the winter, I realise I need him around, that's all.

In other news, this was slipped under my door the other night:
"Hot horny housewife is all very well but will she take you to Paris for 3 nights all inclusive for only £99? http://www.ishevents.org.uk"

I'll ignore what this might lead you to think of me, but Alfonzo and I went online to check out what this was about. (Now is when you do the same. Go on, don't be shy. There isn't anyone around. Click here. I know you want to.) And we (re)discovered a fascinating and somewhat depressing fact about human nature - Sex sells like nothing else. But you've got to hand it to these guys - brilliant gimmick!

I have a brother. He is doing his phd in another cold cold city which makes London seem tropical. Last weekend a friend of his came into town to do a part of her research on trade unions and we met up over a late Sunday lunch. Inevitably the topic of conversation moved to the recent death of a classmate of theirs.

"Well, this is how I look at it. You've got to have some survival technique if you're doing our phd programme. Most kids do some drugs. Your brother has his girlfriend and I've got my supplements." And with one swig of water, she downed seven pills of different shapes and sizes.

I considered for a moment what my survival technique is. I'm still not sure but for the time being, I have Alfonzo.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had an imaginary friend too... a girl, called 'Mela' (as in fair or union, but bong pronunciation) for some strange reason. She survived through the first six years of my life and was a contsant companion in games... amost a Hobbes. Then came along my sister... and all my attention and affection being directed to her, poor Mela was promptly forgotten.

Snake Anthony said...

So she does have a name after all. Well, Alfonzo was named after the mangoes I ate sitting in the sun. *sigh* Seems so long ago. But he's back and I enjoy his company.

Anonymous said...

are you talking about http://www.alfonzomusic.co.uk/ or are you actually talking imaginary here??

hmm.. atleast my friends a real life computer programs :p

Young Thos. said...

I've forgotten what mine was called.

xipxap said...

tell me you are talking about the yummy mangoes!!

Snake Anthony said...

Yes, he was named after the mango. :)

That Armchair Philosopher said...

imaginary friend? :) wow. why didnt i ever thinkg of that?

Snake Anthony said...

Perhaps you didn't move so much? When I was four, we lived in an enormous house with a massive garden which had the two best swings in the world, a pond and a waterfall. But we barely had any neighbours and my brother was away in boarding school. So my dog, J, Alfonzo and I would play around the house and garden. My childhood was truly blissful.