Wednesday, May 30, 2007

And I Thought It Was Only A Bird

For a variety of reasons that I will spare you the trauma of reading, I have been finding nodding off to sleep a little hard these past few days. The super student in me refuses to admit exam stress. After all, that how ordinary people feel. Instead, she insists there is some sort of cosmic imbalance in the universe that is refusing to let my brain shut down. But last night, worried, she secretly made me look up tips on inducing sleep. I ignored the usual ideas - brandy, hot milk, waking up early (it was too late for that), etc. - but was rather perturbed by this:

Get up and eat some turkey: Turkey contains tryptophan, a major building block for making serotonin, a neurotransmitter, which sends messages between nerve cells and causes feelings of sleepiness. Note that L-tryptophan doesn't act on the brain unless you eat it on an empty stomach with no protein present, so keep some turkey in the refrigerator for 3 am.

Disturbed, I turned off my laptop. I fell asleep immediately.

3 comments:

TS said...

The best way to fall off to sleep is to decide to stay awake till the morning.

Silly na?

Snake Anthony said...

Haha. Not at all. Though I tried it and after breakfast I fell asleep and woke up late afternoon. It just perpetuates the unhealthy sleep cycle. I've given up.

Jitender Saan said...

Oooh.. I should try turkey at 3am. Might cure my insomnia.