Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Great Wave

This one is for TS who recently told me to ‘Write. Write. Write. My Lovely.’. My apologies that it isn’t a full fledged soul baring entry but you would agree that those are hard to come by on We Are Rolling. So we have one of Snake Anthony’s typical random numbers that inshallah, will lead to greater waves in the coming months.

My mum came to visit me this past week from Singapore. I was very eager to show her my humble abode and the working of my new single and independent life. I was particularly pleased that she was unusually impressed by everything from my meal of oats in the morning to the condition of my car.

However, the décor of my room did not quite catch her fancy:

‘SA, I really don’t like waking up in the morning and looking at the tsunami!’

‘Ma, that is not the tsunami. That’s The Great Wave of Kanagawa, Hokusai’s masterpiece.’

‘I can see that. It’s still the tsunami to me. Take it off.’

‘But, Ma…’

‘It’s freaking me out. Take it off, SA.’

‘Fine.’

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny...waking up with a picture of the tsunami is better than struggling hard to get some sleep since midnight because the neighbour's dog wouldn't stop barking

Snake Anthony said...

Abhishek!

Welcome to We Are Rolling. Thanks for your comment.

Vipul Nanda said...

You're the only other person, online or otherwise, who seems aware of that painting. Saw it in an encyclopedia, when I was young. The 'Divine Wind'. The Tsunami, so to speak.

raman said...

this is actually one of my favorite pieces of japanese art - i have a subway size poster of it in my dining room that BUILT a frame for.

good taste.