Sunday, June 11, 2006

Wild Horses

I was there this week because it often feels like the only glimse of the outside world.

Beside me sat a forlorn woman, seemingly spurned. She looked, my friend commented, like a typical Bengali film star of yesteryears. I wondered how many women I know could sit alone like that in a room of curious wandering eyes. When her phone rang, though elated, she picked it up in a composed and dignified fashion but put it down, disappointed. It wasn't Uttam Kumar, I gathered.

Some time ago someone said to someone else, "Wild horses couldn't drag me away..." And the reply, in the spontaneous tone of a lover underestimated came, "I wouldn't let wild horses comes near you!".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wild horses... I love that song. I don't know about old bengali film heroines though... they are a motley lot. Dignified is more the effect of tints and hues and our imaginations and the whole rigmarole of canonisation... they were an unconventional, adventurous lot... as often censured in their times as praised. Especially Supriya Devi the lover of Uttam Kumar... was quite a one. Still is: Has reinevented herself as a weepy mother in sundry Bengali soaps!
- Anirudh.

Anonymous said...

"i would never let wild horses come near you"