Sunday, December 10, 2006

The Inconvenience Of Street Food

There is something wonderous about being sleep deprived and disoriented, walking through Frankfurt airport, searching for Gate B25. Doors miraculously open, leading you into empty elevators the size of small palace with marble flooring and no buttons to press. Handel's Giulio Cesare lingers in the air while trains magically appear and zip you across to far flung terminals. But most importantly, when you're sitting in the airport lounge, all sophisticated, sipping red wine and eating cheese and crackers with a goodlooking investment banker, you suddenly think distractedly - Mmm.. golgappas would be nice!

10 comments:

hedonistic hobo said...

golgappas are always nice. for some absurd reason, maybe because i didn't grow up in a house suffused with them i often have dhokla and banana chips cravings too.

Snake Anthony said...

As a child, my mother didn't allow me street food because she thought I would fall ill and die. So it wasn't till later in my life that I had access to it. (You can be sure my friends have mocked me endlessly about this!) I agree - dhoklas and banana chips can be so addictive.

TS said...

Amen.

Unknown said...

snake: me too! I think it's one of the reasons I like sugarcane juice so much.

(Then again, the one time I had sugarcane juice in a tiny little village in Maharashtra, I did come back with Hep A, so ...)

Snake Anthony said...

What?! Thats scary.

Hmm... I've never ever had sugarcane juice. :(

Anonymous said...

i can't stand these golgappas, dholka and banana chips.

tequila and strawberries preferred.

basho.

Anonymous said...

yum

Snake Anthony said...

Basho,

*considers*

I want bubble tea actually.

Jonathan C. Ong said...

Oh gosh. We also have our share of street food in the Philippines. There's even ice cream that's literally called "dirty ice cream"--and the label doesn't prevent people (like me!) from buying!

How are you doing with your memoirs project? Hope everything's going smoothly!

Anonymous said...

haha, i love how you think about golgappas when u've been served wine and cheese!!! nothing tastes as good as the fly infested food from fly infsted the 'reri-wala's'.