Sunday, March 25, 2007

Much of the Truth Lies in Shadows

We Are Rolling is an anonymous blog for the standard reason of the author wanting her thoughts and expression to be appreciated (or not) for themselves and not for its source. As a result, I have often found it difficult to write about certain things for fear of revealing my identity. But I realise as I approach the first year mark that this cannot carry on forever. I must confess that I have more to write about than inanities like eggs, currency notes or magic beans and would like to share some of my more cerebral thoughts, which sadly, emanate from my academic interests. I am student of Media. There you have it: the truth. Though do not forget that much of the truth lies in shadows. There is more to this facet of me, mired in wanting to be more than a student, a traveler, a woman.

Studying Media is an intriguing 'activity' because every once in a while you'll read something that'll jolt your little world. Marshall McLuhan has been more successful in doing this to me (and I reckon, to many others). You might know him from his famous expressions 'the global village' or the more ominous 'the medium is the message'. For me, as a Media student, the less obvious lines send chills down my spine. Who is the hell is Nostradamus? This man takes foresight to a whole new level! In the early 1960s, McLuhan wrote that print culture would soon be replaced by what he called 'electronic interdependence'. Note, this was the early 1960s; fax machines weren't even used until the 1970s, let alone cell phones or the internet.

And here is what I find most eerie - 'users will simultaneously become producers and consumers' from The Global Village: Tranformations in World Life & Media in the 21st Century, co-authored by Bruce Powers, published in 1989 after McLuhan's death in 1980. I am baffled. How did he preempt the postmodern era of media non-ideology in which YouTube and Amazon and Wikipedia are leaders in this marketplace dynamic? Or, 'communication media of the future will accentuate the extensions of our nervous systems, which can be disembodied and made totally collective'. How did he know of the blogosphere and e-activism and the fact that for an alarmingly large population of the world our cell phones and keyboards are quite simply extensions of our arms and minds?

Much of the truth lies in shadows.

I rest my case.

9 comments:

TS said...

Its called inspired evolution.

One thing leads to another, and someone with 'foresight' is anybody who's cracked the code of succession (in this case electronic).

A revolutionary scientist claimed that humans would lose their teeth in the next millenium because the food that we eat is getting softer by the day (Don't we almost always order boneless these days?)

Renovatio said...

Last world rocking thing I got out of class while studying media was that there's a law that states that not knowing the law isn't an excuse...

Oh and the one that gives me the right to grab a random guy's camera in a crowd, take a picture, and then take him to court demanding the negative...

jairaj said...

That's where the truth belongs. I haven't studied the subject, but it sounds swell. But sometime whenever we should talk about the subject, I won't be able to quote, but can give you the little insight I've formed.

Hanedin said...

Hey, I put a link for your blog in my page. Of course I quite happily assumed you wouldn't mind. But in case you do, I will get rid of it.

Unknown said...

Wow, I did not know that ... it is strangely prophetic. A lot of these ideas have been fluttering around for a while, though: in the computer world, a lot of people point to Vannevar Bush's 1945 essay, As We May Think, which predicted "hypertext, personal computers, the Internet, the World Wide Web, speech recognition, and online encyclopedias such as Wikipedia".

Then again, I bet you the Internet is mentioned in one of Leonardo da Vinci's notebooks somewhere ... =/

hedonistic hobo said...

mcluhan was sheer genius wasn't he and what a sweet little cameo in 'annie hall'!

personally i'm a big fan of anything media studies. just not too ken on adorno and horkheimer. when we meet we shall discuss this at greater depth. i heart discussing about mcluhan.

Smith said...

and what a name....marshall mcluhan....impressive huh? sounds like he was ordained to have foresight...

That Armchair Philosopher said...

you haff been tagged.

Snake Anthony said...

TS,

These are just little nuggets from his book. He predicted the future (our present) with such accuracy that it makes your hair stand on end. Honestly.

Jerry,

Sure. Any time.

Hanedin,

I'm flattered.

Hobo,

You better be getting here before June for our chat then!

Smith,

Interesting observation. Marshall McLuhan does have quite a ring to it.

Tap,

*sigh* Alright, alright. I have been tagged.