Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Writing Poems

Revision

My notebook, left by mistake
all night on the garden table
has been revised by rain -

blurs and dribbles swims
the lakes and swallow seas
of its brimming pages.

Put in the oven to dry
drought begins to crinkle
the lip of every puddle -

and what comes out is a shell,
crisp and hollow and curled
around a fall of rain.

- Charles Bennett, How To Make a Women Out of Water

**

The Notebooks

To turn again these faded pencilled pages,
Their neatly cancelled lines, precisely dated,
Their doodles of frustration, sudden rages
Or mocking self-contempt, before the next
Refining or reduction's contemplated,
And then the immaculate and final text -

This is to hear you speak, not just to read you,
Familiar words-by-heart plumbed deep and strange
Down to the nerve of hurt, the pains that feed you
Raw as they are, a present tense, not past,
Thronged with the power to strengthen through their change,
Poised to their lines we know and built to last.

- Anthony Thwaite, The Dust of The World

5 comments:

Jonathan C. Ong said...

I got all nostalgic with 'The Notebooks'. I kept a silly little journal when I was eleven. And whenever I read about my exploits then, I'm amazed by how much has changed (not necessarily for the better!) since the days of fighting over cookies or rejoicing over a He-Man toy.

Hey, I bet you have a notebook not unlike Gwyneth Paltrow in 'Proof'! You better keep one and have it published!

Renovatio said...

You know, that first one, it's actually two different poems. If you hadn't included the title, I had something completely different on my mind... I mean other than thinking about how people tell me my handwriting looks like an army of ants dipped in ink crawling across the paper, I had a lot of thoughts running through my head that just don't have words to go with them...
Reading the title, I got a different set of thoughts...

Snake Anthony said...

Jon,

I would love to read the little journal of little Jon. I bet it has signs of an academic in the making!

I've told the Lemon to bring Proof this weekend. I so want to see it!

Renovatio,

Glad the poems got you thinking.

Jonathan C. Ong said...

So have you seen Proof yet?

It says in the movie that you're at your peak at the age of 26, and then you go downhill from there. Pressure, pressure! But surely, you'll write a masterpiece soon enough!

Snake Anthony said...

Really? I better get started then! Though I should send you one of the chapters I've written already.