Thursday, February 01, 2007

Speaking of Critical Thinking

Last night I realised that I am no longer impervious to the insidious power of the social sciences.



When I saw this cartoon in The Economist, besides finding it hilarious and appreciating the artistic genius of the drawing, I found myself pondering over these issues:

- Isn't the dragon such a eurocentric representation of China? That's right, continue to exoticise the East, you hegemonic monsters!
- Nevermind the political dimension of the relationship, why must the dragon be sitting and Bush be standing? Huh? Couldn't the relationship be conveyed through less belittling means?
- Why such a servile expression on the dragon's face? Doesn't this continue to perpetuate the image of the world terrorised by America, nations just awaiting approval...

Suddenly Alfonzo interrupted, 'SA, it's a cartoon.'

I looked up.
'Oh. Right.' I replied, sheepishly.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is not just a cartoon! How dare they? The dragon is kinda cute, btw.

Snake Anthony said...

I know. :P Doesn't it remind you of a certain voodoo child next door? Lol.

Oh and WTF. It's a dragon with an anteater's tongue! Who the hell do they think they are? Damn hegemonic monsters, constructing the world and its animals according to the Western idea of what the East should be...

jairaj said...

Hey naa, I think its quite brilliant -- cartoons limit the art. The same observations ran in my mind, but then this is so cool. Cause its a real-mockery case, you have the western figure playing the fool again and the dragon (an eastern embodied myth played too cartoony though) repulsive but out-witting. Cheers :)

Unknown said...

On the other hand, a 155-year old white guy with a goatee is hardly a good thing to be associated with ... right?

Young Thos. said...

Nothing is JUST a cartoon. I spent my entire History course with Mathias analysing them. I should know.

hedonistic hobo said...

it might be a cartoon but you're right!

Snake Anthony said...

Young Thos,

Maria Mathias?

Hobo,

I used this cartoon for the introdution of a panel discussion on media imperialism. It had a couple of people quite provoked!

Young Thos. said...

What other Mathiases would there be? :P

Anonymous said...

Hey, take your chance NOW! we can laugh at baby dragon NOW... (cause once he grows up, he might just be devouring good ole Uncle Sam!)

Snake Anthony said...

Da,

So perfectly put! I am laughing my ass off!